Charles Landry and his colleague Jonathan Hyams have developed the Creative City Index. This strategic tool assesses and measures the imaginative pulse of cities.
Conceived with the Basque Country region of Biscay and its core city Bilbao, the Creative City Index uses three elements – an internal assessement, an external assessment, and a web based survey. It provides a benchmarking facility between participating cities.
Cities wishing to discuss having their city evaluated internally and externally should contact Charles Landry directly, using the form opposite.
The ten indicators of a creative place.
Within each of ten defined domains there are identified key indicators of creativity, resilience and the capacity to future proof a city. These are:
- political & public framework
- distinctiveness, diversity, vitality and expression
- openness, trust, tolerance & accessibility
- entrepreneurship, exploration & innovation
- strategic leadership, agility & vision
- talent & the learning landscape
- communication, connectivity & networking
- the place & placemaking
- liveability & well-being
- professionalism & effectiveness
Seventeen cities have so far been assessed including Bilbao, Perth, Canberra, Freiburg, Ghent and Oulu. Oulu is currently undertaking the online survey.
To find out more about the Index please contact Lucy Garcia on firstname.lastname@example.org.